…So Psychologists have carried out research on Facebook users and they have come up with some pretty unsurprising results: extroverts have more friends on Facebook, people who post alot of selfies tend to be narcissists and it can decrease loneliness depending on how it is used. My personal experience of Facebook has been both negative and positive:
- I have lost a friend
- I have embarrassed my children
- Other people have gossiped about stuff that I put on Facebook just for friends.
- I have been able to get in touch with friends from the past.
- I have been able to discuss films/books/music with friends I don’t see very often.
- I have been able to promote my website and these blogs.
- Sometimes people’s posts/memes make me laugh.
- I have been able to share and see photos of family members.
So more positives than negatives. Therefore I thought I would put together a few tips for the best use of Facebook:
- Don’t have more than 100 friends
- Unfriend/block people who annoy you
- Keep your posts and photos private not public
- Don’t boast or moan too much
- Don’t friend anyone unless you know them in the real world first
- Don’t friend work colleagues
- Be careful what you like as it shows up in your friends’ news feed
- Only use it if it is increasing your positive emotions rather than negative ones!
If anyone wants to know where I get these ideas from then please leave a comment or question below.